Danish public procurement
The Danish Public Sector is a highly regulated market. In order to sell to the Public Sector, you must master the tender rules and processes in Denmark. It is also important that you have an existing network among stakeholders in the public sector, so that you can pitch your product/services and thereby maybe influence the tender conditions and requirements, which you know for certain will come at one point. You also need to know that it is as good as impossible to win a tender if you are not a native Danish speaker.It is equal important that you know the rules of the game so that you do not disqualify yourself on beforehand. This could happen by having too close a dialogue in the tender process with the public party so you get what is called a “competitive advance” which can disqualify you. You need to strike a fine balance.
Any public contract with an accumulated value of more than EUR 200.000 must be purchased through a public EU tender according to Danish procurement law.
Bidding on a public tender is very time-consuming, very complex and demands absolute core-competencies within EU procurement law and procedures. If you do however master the discipline, the market is enormous. The Danish public procurement volume is estimated to be about DKK 400 Billion a year.
The management team
Tenbid Ltd. Ltd. is a partner-based consultancy company run by former principal consultants from the Danish National Procurement (a subsidiary of the Danish Ministry of Finance).
- Lars Kjær Kuhlmann, Associated Partner, M.Sc. Econ. & Management
- Mikael Klint, Managing partner, M.Sc. Econ. Law
- Morten T. Pedersen, Partner, M.Sc.
Between us, we have more than 50 years of experience within public sales and tenders; we have processed more than 100 public tenders and helped more than 50 tenderers over the last 3 years. We are not lawyers; we are tender consultants and business developers/sales people.
Our winning approach
The “Special Sauce” of Tenbid Ltd. is that we work on both sides of the table and therefore knows the counterpart’s perspective as well. We work for both the public sector and for the private vendors wishing to sell to the public sector in Denmark. Obviously not on the same time.
Our core competencies are as follows:
- Project management of public tenders
- Consultancy regarding public framework agreements and the use of them, e.g SKI agreements
- Help/sparring regarding procurement strategies and policies
- Contract management
- Matchmaking of public customers to private vendors
- Courses and generel consultancy within the area of public procurement and tenders
- Bid management and the writing of proposals on public tenders and complex solutions
- Public Sales strategy/go-to-market strategy
- Up-sale on framework agreements, e.g. SKI agreements
- ”Matchmaking” of private vendors to public customers
- Courses and generel consultancy within the area of public sales and tenders
A typically project for us could be that a municipality wants us to make their entire tender structure on a certain area, e.g. procurement of an IT system or a welfare technology solution.
Our typical task is on behalf of the municipality to make/develop the tender conditions, scope of work, obligations etc.
Then we design the entire tender material based on the business needs of the municipality. This typically includes establishing the evaluation criterias and delivering to the municipality an evaluation report who points out the winner of the tender. Sometimes we also help the municipality with the contracting.
The other part of our customers are the private vendors who either wants to make a proposal on a specific Danish public tender, typically an already announced tender, or more generally to get better at selling to the public sector. In the following we will briefly describe our approaches.